How many Cornish X will fit comfortably in a 12'x12' stall?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CovenantCreek, Jan 24, 2009.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'm hoping to order 25-50 with the idea of raising them in one of my stalls since it's still going to be cold for awhile. Is 144 sq ft going to be enough for them? If not, how soon do they feather out so I can put them outside in a 12'x16' pen? Do they need as much heat as ordinary chicks or do they generate more body heat and require less artificial heat?

My other idea is to use my 20'x20' garden spot -- let them make the organic fertilizer deposits directly. However, that's out in the open and I'm not sure how well it could be heated or closed off from drafts/wind.

Any other advice you can offer to make their short lives more comfortable and reduce the risk of loss will be greatly appreciated!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cornish X grow fast. Faster than their feathers can grow in. They grow so fast you will forget they are still babies and think they are able to fend for themselves outside. They won't be. They will need heat for nearly their entire lifespan (8 - 10 weeks) in this type of weather we have for winter.

144 sq ft is not enough room for them if that is the only place you plan to keep them. Your poop load will be so much that you will think you are in a poop factory.

They need the 12 x 12 inside stall for starters and they will need that 12 x 16 area in a few weeks in addition to the stall.

You will do best if you can move them around fairly often as the poop load is amazing and the stench is even more so.

Contained in one place you will have a lot of work to do to keep things clean. You will also have to deal with crowding issues for 25 - 50 birds of their size.

3. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'm assuming that if they're in the stall I'll have to clean it every day, the same as if one of my horses was in there.

How long would 144 sq ft be large enough for just 25? One the one hand, I don't want to be too overwhelmed taking care of them, on the other hand, if I have to make a 4 hour drive to the processor and back, I want enough birds to be worth the trip.

Getting all that poop into the garden soil before planting season is a bonus. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is big enough for 50 chicks for about 2 - 3 weeks and then they will need lots of outdoor space in addition to the indoor stall.

The poop needs to compost a while before you use it. It is so concetrated as they are eating machines that for me it stayed hotter way longer than any other poop I have composted.

Until you live it you won't believe the mess or the smell.

They smell 'different' than other chickens from day 1.

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    For 25 chicks you can get away with the whole 8 week period in that stall. I've seen it done with less. Your going to have almost 6 sq. feet / bird.

Keep the litter dry, change it often. You've taken care of horses I'm assuming? The shoveling part will not be new to you then. When they get older you may have to clean the pen 2 or 3 times a week.

50 is definately too many. If you have two stalls available than ok.

6. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I do have more stalls I could use, but there's a little part of me that thinks I should try to keep a couple open for the horses.....just in case..... [​IMG]

7. I will never raise Cornish in a stationary place AGAIN....

Trust me, they make a poo river of a small space in no time flat. It's not like any poo you've ever seen. It's not a matter of grabbing a rake and raking it out, most of my birds poo was more liquidy normally than it was solid.

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I know what you mean, that's why we use the tractors on pasture.

But sometimes you have to use what you have. I do admit shoveling broiler manure is a bit more like shoveling horse manure.

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I was thinking more like pig poop.

10. Quote:I was thinking more like pig poop.

[​IMG] I don't know what pig poo looks like but now I can only imagine...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by