How Many Could I fit?** Silkies**

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
How Many silkie chickens could I fit in a 20' x 20' chain link fenced in area? I was thinking of getting 3 - 4.

Also , any advice on furniture? ( Tarps,coop style, waterer, ramps )

We are fencing in another section of our "pasture". It is covered in grass, trees lining the inside of one side and the grass is slightly higher there. Shade comes in from both sides though because about ten feet away from the enclosure is a large clump of tall trees.

All advice and pictures are greatly appriciated!

I heard you can do 5 sq foot run space for bantams, but I do 7 for bantams, 10 for standards as a MINIMUM. So 20x20 is 400 divided by 7 is over 50. Now if thats for the coop and the run, like built in the same space, I'd say 40...

ep.gif
I was only going to get like 3 0r 4. 5 at most

Gee whiz. Thats alot of birds. i dont plan on letting them free range like the ducks so this will be their 24/7 home.

I have a 3x3x4 high coop inside a 12 x 7 run it is large enough for the 3 silkies and 2 standards ( buff and sexlink) a 20x20 is very big, especially if you are in an area where you need to provide a bird net over the top for flying predators.. if I had just silkies, I'd probably feel comfortable with 6-8 of them in there. Silkies (at least mine) are very social an need little room, but to like to run a little and 12 feet seems ample.

oh, for furnishings.. I used an old rabbit cage - and modified it a little. I purchased used 6' chain link and 8' metal stakes. overall the setup ( all used from craigslist ) cost around 150$... note - we just remodeled the coop to make it more cozy, insulated and better looking paint, hinges and handles for another 100 or so.. and intend to build a nice roof before the january ice storms come our way.

Back
Top Bottom