How many could possibly go broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warren86, Mar 15, 2017.

1. warren86

warren86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    I have 21 hens 2 roosters 5 RIR 5 BA mix of barred rock and domi 1 brahma 2 bantams out of all those what would be my chances of getting some broody hens to hatch some chicks for me?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I think BA and Brahmas sometimes go broody. Bantams are usually the broodiest, at least mine are, especially my Japanese bantam and OEGB. My Sebright occasionally goes broody (1 to 2x a year, the others about 3x). I don't have any silkies but a lot of people like them for broodies as well.

In other words, it will generally be your "ornamentals" not those that have been bred for high egg production.

3. warren86

warren86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    I have had them all for 6 months there all at least 1yo+ and some greater than 2 i know of and non has went broody so far..i live in South central ky so weather has been weird...some days 70 then right back down to 30s

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That is how it has been here too. Especially cold on the weekends and the only nice days are when I am stuck at work. I am actually excited to have a "warm" day in the 50s this weekend. Sigh.

My girls first went broody around 6 months old and have pretty much been broody over and over. Do yo know what breeds your bantams are? I'm not sure if hatchery bantams would be more or less inclined to go broody since mine came from breeders.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What can possibly happen is a hard question to answer. Of course anything can possibly happen. If you read through this forum you can find examples where any breed can go broody, you’ll also find examples of certain breeds not going broody for some people.

I agree the production breeds are less likely to go broody while the decorative breeds are more likely to. Where you get them can have a big effect. Each hatchery is different so your results can vary by hatchery, getting them from individuals can vary even more. I’ve selectively bred my mixed breed mutts to go broody though they are mostly based on production breeds. Practically all of mine now go broody, some of them a lot. When I first got them a broody hen was pretty rare.

I’ve gotten Black Australorp from both Cackle and Meyer. I’ve had broody hens from both of those orders so they might work out for you. I’ve had Buff Orps that are supposed to go broody a lot, mine never did. RIR and Rocks are not supposed to go broody that often but you can find all kinds of posts on here where one did. It’s just a crap shoot with individual hens but your odds are better with certain breeds. Bantams and decorative breeds are your best bet. Looking at that list I think you have a reasonable chance.

One thing about it is that you cannot control when one does go broody if one even does. If one does, it will probably be at an inconvenient time if that is possible. They are good about that. The only way you can control that is to use an incubator, but I really like having a broody hen. I have one on eggs right now. And yes, she went broody at an inconvenient time. I wasn’t around at first to collect eggs for her to hatch. Then a cold snap reduced egg laying so it took longer to get the eggs I wanted, certain hens I wanted eggs from just quit laying for the wrong couple of days. I collected them several times a day so they wouldn’t get too cold. But she is on good eggs and I should have chicks around April 3.

I wish you luck with it. Waiting on a broody hen can be very frustrating. I tried letting eggs, real and fake, build up in the nests, it did not help. I showed them a fried chicken advertisement, did not phase them. I got an incubator and explained they can be replaced, they laughed since I still needed their eggs to hatch. But eventually a BA went broody. I still use an incubator to get chicks when I want them but I do like my broody hens.

6. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Our Brahmas would sometimes go broody, but the best broody we ever had was a gold-laced Wyandotte. In my experience with her, as soon as she had a few (like 3!) eggs built up, she was ready to set, even though we didn't want her to! If I had to guess, from your flock I'd put my money on your Brahma and your bantams. I've never had an RIR go broody. Good luck! Sending broody energy your way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by