How many days do you let your chicken egg hatches go?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harleyjo, Jun 11, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I am on my first hatch and it has been a learning experience. Yesterday was day 21 but I had some hatching on day 20. I have 4 hatched and doing fine. How many more days do I wait on th remaining eggs? I plan to clean this up and set a new batch of eggs but just didn't know how long to go.

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I have done a lot of incubating, and found that if they haven't pipped by day 22, they are gone. Have you tried candling them? Are they the same breed and did you put them in all at the same time? Do you feel comfortable opening the egg to see what happened? It would be a good learning experience if you did. They could have been infertile all along. Or, they may have just not gotten in the correct postion to pip properly - among other things.

Sorry. But, congrats on the babies you do have!

3. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I candled them prior to lockdown and thought I might have a few more make it. I did have one that pipped and didn't make it out. The others, I have seen no sign of anything since yesterday morning. I see no internal pips or nothing.

4. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    i have one in there on day 23 now. i posted yesterday about it and had someone tell me to leave it for another 2 days or so befor going in. i candeled it thismorning and its still alive. i did have a temp and humidity drop earily on. i wouldnt giv up untill u candel again and makesure there no movement. i would not want to throw one out to find out it was still alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by