How many days of light should it take?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by philsphamily, Jan 26, 2009.

1. philsphamily

philsphamily New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG]
    We got our first hens saturday before last. They had not exposed to any artificial light and were not laying. I started light 7 days ago and bumped it up 30min a day and now am at 15 hours where I will keep it. Still no eggs. Has anyone else introduced artificial light to a new flock in the winter? Note: all our hens are over a year old.
    Thanks
    Keith in North Carolina

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    It may have nothing to do with the light. Sometimes chickens take a while to adjust to a new home and stop laying for a while. Give them some more time and see what happens. Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. philsphamily

philsphamily New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Will continue with quazi patient waiting.[​IMG]

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    How old are they ? [​IMG]

Can't tell where your from and the weather makes a difference and so does the breed.It's a;ways nice if you enter the state your from because when you are communicating with people it does make a difference on many issues.

Some breeds lay almost everyday of the year some less so that would be good to know.

If they are real young they may not be ready and if they are 3 or 4 yrs they may lay alot less due to age.

5. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    what part of NC are you in? i am in graham, NC

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In my case, I am talking ducks, not chickens, but I started putting a Ryobi flashlight in their coop. The battery pack lasts about 3 1/2 - 4 hours before it fades out. It gets dark here around 5:30pm. Sunrise is after 6:30am. So 11 hours of natural light plus 3 hours of added good light plus a little more dim light. Gets me close to 14.

It took a week with the light for my khaki to start laying and another week for my buff to start laying. My runner is molting, so no eggs from her yet.

7. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    It took 2 to 3 weeks before my birds started laying.

8. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    It takes me two weeks after addition of light to get the layers going again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by