1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many days??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gachick88, Aug 26, 2016.

1. gachick88

gachick88 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. My name is Brittany and I am from South Georgia where it stays hot and humid in the Summer! Thank you for taking your time to read my post. I am very new to incubating although I am making progress. I bought a forced air incubator with egg turner a while back and after 72 hours, I had it at a consistent 55% humidity and 99.5-100.0 temp. I have done lots of research lately, now that I want to start incubating seriously. I used to hobby candle all of my eggs as I collected them just to get a general idea of what I was looking at. I wish I knew then what I know now bc some looked amazing, I just had no idea. Anyway, I would love to be a great hatcher one day but since I am new I had to start somewhere, right? At the time of collecting, I didn't know enough about veins, blood rings, or even that it took 21-25 days to hatch. I just knew they were fertilized and left them for my hen to take care of. Sounded like a good idea at the time :/ My hen was broody and sat on them for what seemed like forever. The temps fluctuated and some probably got too hot. One day I decided that some of them didn't look right after candling so I figured I would crack one open and take a look at what went wrong. That's when I quickly learned what an egg bomb was. They are disgusting...especially when they pop in your face [​IMG] ! Anyway, ABOUT 1.5 weeks ago our other hen laid 3 more and Miss Amy sat on them again. I decided it was time to get ready to incubate (for real). I wanted to collect the next eggs exactly on day 1 so there would be no question. Well I had to see what was going on with these 3 first so I candled them and found that 2 were bombs and 1.....was my very first LIVE embryo!! It has visible veins and lots of movement however I have NO clue how many days old it is bc I honestly wasn't expecting it to be viable and now I'm stressing out, obviously, bc I don't want it to die. I had no idea how much care goes into incubating these babies but I will do whatever it takes to make sure I'm not the cause of their death. I put it in the incubator 2 days ago and it has been doing well however I am concerned about the air sac being too large..? I took some photos bc the videos were too dark so please let me know what you think. The embryo was moving when I took the pics. I need a rough idea of how old it is so I know when to put it on lockdown and increase the humidity. Thanks so much for your help!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. gachick88

gachick88 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Thank you for the reply! I did some more research and found the air sac will be at the opposite end...sometimes...and they may still hatch? So I will keep an eye on it and update you in a week or so [​IMG]. Also, the link you provided was very helpful! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by