How many days??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gachick88, Aug 26, 2016.

1. gachick88

gachick88 In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello everyone! I am new to this site. My name is Brittany and I am from South Georgia where it stays hot and humid in the Summer! Thank you for taking your time to read my post. I am very new to incubating although I am making progress. I bought a forced air incubator with egg turner a while back and after 72 hours, I had it at a consistent 55% humidity and 99.5-100.0 temp. I have done lots of research lately, now that I want to start incubating seriously. I used to hobby candle all of my eggs as I collected them just to get a general idea of what I was looking at. I wish I knew then what I know now bc some looked amazing, I just had no idea. Anyway, I would love to be a great hatcher one day but since I am new I had to start somewhere, right? At the time of collecting, I didn't know enough about veins, blood rings, or even that it took 21-25 days to hatch. I just knew they were fertilized and left them for my hen to take care of. Sounded like a good idea at the time :/ My hen was broody and sat on them for what seemed like forever. The temps fluctuated and some probably got too hot. One day I decided that some of them didn't look right after candling so I figured I would crack one open and take a look at what went wrong. That's when I quickly learned what an egg bomb was. They are disgusting...especially when they pop in your face [​IMG] ! Anyway, ABOUT 1.5 weeks ago our other hen laid 3 more and Miss Amy sat on them again. I decided it was time to get ready to incubate (for real). I wanted to collect the next eggs exactly on day 1 so there would be no question. Well I had to see what was going on with these 3 first so I candled them and found that 2 were bombs and 1.....was my very first LIVE embryo!! It has visible veins and lots of movement however I have NO clue how many days old it is bc I honestly wasn't expecting it to be viable and now I'm stressing out, obviously, bc I don't want it to die. I had no idea how much care goes into incubating these babies but I will do whatever it takes to make sure I'm not the cause of their death. I put it in the incubator 2 days ago and it has been doing well however I am concerned about the air sac being too large..? I took some photos bc the videos were too dark so please let me know what you think. The embryo was moving when I took the pics. I need a rough idea of how old it is so I know when to put it on lockdown and increase the humidity. Thanks so much for your help!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. gachick88

gachick88 In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2016
    Thank you for the reply! I did some more research and found the air sac will be at the opposite end...sometimes...and they may still hatch? So I will keep an eye on it and update you in a week or so [​IMG]. Also, the link you provided was very helpful! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by