How many degrees are the eggs turned?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosco, Dec 6, 2009.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    All,
    i'm building an incubator. I've everything in except the fan (which stopped working a short while ago???) and the hardware wire.

Before building/molding the hardware wire, i need to know how much room to leave for the basket. How many degrees down and how many degrees up from horizontal will/shall i tilt the eggs?

here is image:

[​IMG]

Thanks Yall!

Rosco

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I think most auto turners go to about 30 degrees to ether side. Some go more, some less. People hand turning are going 90 degrees to ether side an people using the brick under the side of the incubator method could be as little as 10 degrees to ether side. All have been proven to work. I would not worry about the angle, just build it an as long as it tilts an the eggs dont fall out it will work fine.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I personally don't have the experience, but the top of page 3 on this site gives a 45 degree angle for the turning during storage before it goes into the incubator. I'd guess this would also work during incubation. Note that this is from 45 degrees to the left to 45 degrees to the right for a total swing of 90 degrees.

Texas A&M Incubation site
    http://gallus.tamu.edu/Extension publications/b6092.pdf

4. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:THanks! i'm not sure of the angle that i'll get, but i feel better now.

rosco

5. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:I read the same publication and saw the rotation of 45 degrees if the eggs are stored for more than two weeks. i'm thinking rebelcowboysnb is correct. Hens just push them and roll them around the nest.

NW Arkansas! That is God's Country. in more way than one, too. i have fly fished almost every part of the white river from beaver lake to past bull shoals and on down to the confluence with the NOrfolk river. i've got a secret spot near cotter if your interested. you can catch them all day long. one after another. listen for the sirens though. i've been washed away once trying to stay out longer than i should have.

You are lucky to be there. also, if you can find King's River Falls, it is wicked awesome. the farmer who owns the land there is a great guy. his church down the road closed down but he keeps paying the electric and water bill. done it for years. near the falls, the kings river is lined with azaelias or something. people come from all over to photograph it in may. it is almost impossible to find though. about 15 miles down unnamed gravel roads. you can find it using google earth though. Man, i envy you.

Rosco

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by