How many did you start with?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KimM, Jan 12, 2011.

1. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    I read that 6 is a good number of ducks to start with if you are new to ducks. But it's so hard to narrow down my wish list of breeds. I started with 12 chickens and that seemed fine, but for some reason 12 ducks seems like more than 12 chickens if that makes any sense.... and I don't want to be overwhelmed (would I be with that many? space is not an issue)

How many did you start with?

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I started off with 7 from Metzers. I ordered 6 runners then went back and ordered a Jubo Pekin. 1 of the runners died within a day of me getting them and another died at 9 weeks old. Half a dozen is a good place to start.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I started with six as well--it's a great place to start. But you will not stop there. You will want more.

4. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I started with raising some orphaned black bellied whistling tree ducks. later hubby let me order 5 ducklings from metzers.. The Tree ducks flew away and I still had the domestic ducks. Re homed 2. one died after about 10 months.. Rescued a pekin at park. So right now I have 3.

5. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I started with two runners which both turned to to be boys, then we got four girls, so at the moment I have 6 [​IMG]

It really depends on two things, plus cost of course, but you have chickens so will know the costs involved:

Space - Obviously the more space you have, the more ducks you can have. They're very messy, especially with water and poos, so just a few in a fairly small area could be more work than the same amount of chickens in an identical set-up.

Friendliness - The more ducks you get, the less friendly they are likely to be, unless you put effort into getting them used to you and happy around people [​IMG]

What iamcuriositycat said is very true, once you have ducks, you will always want more! [​IMG] I think starting with a smaller number one year (1-4) and then getting more the next year and then more the year after etc. would be great, for me at least! Obviously introduction problems could happen doing this, but I love the process of raising them from little ducklings to adults [​IMG]

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

What iamcuriositycat said is very true, once you have ducks, you will always want more! [​IMG] I think starting with a smaller number one year (1-4) and then getting more the next year and then more the year after etc. would be great, for me at least! Obviously introduction problems could happen doing this, but I love the process of raising them from little ducklings to adults [​IMG]

I am new and have 4 !! It was a perfect number cuz I can spend alot of time on each one. They are call ducks and very friendly. I have 2 boys and 2 girls so come spring I will need to get more girls , which I hope to get as ducklings to hand raise. Hopefully no introduction problems. Would luv to just have the 4 but come spring there may be a breeding problem.​

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I started with two. But when each new year rolled around i added more birds. First year i added geese. Next year was more ducks. This year was guineas.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Lets just get it out in the open folks, We're addicted!! I started out with 1 drake I adopted from our river ,then went and bought 3 hens to go with him and then adopted another 3 hens and then another drake just happened to fly into our section of river. so now I am up to 8, all Muscovy.

9. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Started with 2 from Metzer. Those 2, meeting John Metzer, and seeing the hatchery, along with raising the ducks, had started my poulty addiction [​IMG]. Joining BYC anchored the love for poultry....now we have chickens, and have an order placed w/ Holderread for some SQ Magpies and WH's [​IMG]

10. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I started with two pekin ducklings. Then six mallard ducklings, then....things got out of hand![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by