How many different breeds do you breed/work on

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LilQtBear, Nov 6, 2011.

1. LilQtBear

LilQtBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    So I couldn't decide if this was the best thread to post in or not, please tell me if its in wrong area.

So I'm wondering how many different breeds different breeders work on out there?

I have decided to start on the all so popular Orpingtons - friendly, pretty and not too many other colors than buff in my area. And I preffer the " big and fluffy" ones. So my goal is that for my area. But I also luv the cochin (haven't decided bantam or standard) and silkies...and just recently got an eye on them polish. So then I bot to thinkin, how many different breeds can I work on and still give them quality attention for good breeding.

So how many different breeds do you work on and what kinds [​IMG] (just wondering if they are similar types)

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Buff is such a interesting color to work with.. [​IMG]

3. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Buff is such a interesting color to work with.. [​IMG]

My mom has the buffs - no Buff Roos but a few hens (hatchery type) and honestly that's all I knew about until April and I bought my first Blue Roo off a lady on craigslist selling the roo's from her shipped hatching eggs....then I found this website and holy cow...Lavs, splits, whites...lol fun. And when I googled orpington breeders I kept getting people in the UK and wow...ssooo many more colors.
    But all and all LUV the orpington personality thus far [​IMG]

4. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I haven't started breeding yet, just making plans, but so far I want to work with 1) brahmas as my pet project - big and beautiful! 2) cochin bantams to help with hatching and raising chicks (and cuteness) and 3) one breed chosen to get as many eggs as possible, probably the leghorns.

5. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Ooohh I have 2 CA whites and LUV them! They lay me an egg a day and other than there first skip day after first egg. Plus they give you that traditional looking store bought egg. Have a couple family members who willonly eat "normal" looking eggs that are white. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Ooohh I have 2 CA whites and LUV them! They lay me an egg a day and other than there first skip day after first egg. Plus they give you that traditional looking store bought egg. Have a couple family members who willonly eat "normal" looking eggs that are white. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Buffs are so nice to work because they have some many genes.

Below are full Brothers and they donĀ“t look like it

as chicks with buff mother
    [​IMG]

as young Cockerels
    [​IMG]

as Cockerels
    [​IMG]

as young Roos
    [​IMG]

7. FRANCOIS

FRANCOIS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Trompsburg South Africa
    Hi I've been breeding different chicken breeds and they are thriving!its important to keep different breeds in separate coops if you want pure offspring and give them the space they need,a good quality feed,clean water and good protection against the weather and they should be just fine!

8. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh yes I understand the buff has uknown colors in the background... these are all from buff moms (blue dad)

[​IMG]

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Awesome.. the middle one will be the most buffish of them all..

10. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I understand the separate pens for sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by