How many different colors do muscovies come in?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smartie_Pants, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Due to the sheer volume of photos on the muscovy keepers thread, I can't load any of the pages with my dial-up connection. I tired looking at feathersite, but the photos were poor quality and I couldn't really see the different colors. Please tell me the different colors, and if you have a couple of pics that aren't very big, please post them to demonstrate.

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I have no pics, as I have no muscovies, but I know of these colors: White, blue, lavender, black, chocolate, magpie (looks like), Splash, and white mixed with any of the other colors. I have also seen mottled and striped (barred?) patterns. [​IMG]

3. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/varieties.html

There
    are more, this is just a collection of some of the varieties that I had.

Barreds - can be in any color except white, I do believe.
    Ripples - most commonly in 'dark' and 'chocolate', however I have been told that you can get the rippling in just about any variety - I have not seen any but these two personally, though.

Black
    Blue
    Chocolate
    White
    Silver
    Self-Blue (sometimes referred to as Lavender)
    Cream
    Lilac - what I've always been told was lilac might very well be 'blue fawn'. Both are known varieties.

Egads I can't think right now - there are more. There is some talk of duclair and magpie etc. but I'm a bit *blah* on that. You can have a magpie bird in any variety except white as it's more of a pattern than a variety and I do not believe that you can successfully repeat a magpie x magpie breeding and know that you're going to get a full clutch of well marked magpie ducklings. I think you would still tend to get some other color patterns thrown in there, but I've never personally worked w/ this variety or know of anyone who has - I do know they're popular in Germany & other parts of Europe. Used to have photos that a friend had given me to post on his site. I'm not finding his pages right now though for some odd reason...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by