How many drakes to females?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shadowhills Farm, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Okay, so we have 5 ducks....4 females and one drake. My question is how many drakes can I have with the 4 females? Squirt is pretty happy, but he only likes 2 of the 4 females and it's starting to show on the 2 females physically....

Thanks for the help:)

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That is the same ratio I have. So far everyone still looks fine. I used to have a drake that only liked 2 of his girls and he was actually mean to the others. So much depends on the individual drake. Right now I am dealing with this with my quail. The cock isn't mating with one girl at all and the other 2 are bald on their heads from him grabbing on. Sheesh! BOYS!

3. pishposh

pishposh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    westminster, md
    I had 3 boys to 3 girls, it was the luck of the draw. That was awful, the boys went on CL and found a new home. The girls did fine without them! The boys were so frantic, that if the girls were out of the coop when the pool was fresh, even one of the other boys would do in a pinch! Geesh!

I am curious about this for the future as we plan on adding to our flock.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I have 5 drakes and 10 hens. 3 of my drakes and 3 of my hens are bantams and have for the most part paired off. That leaves 2 (runners) drakes for the 7 (runner) hens left over. Right now everyone is together along with a gander and a goose and get along just fine. Sometimes the (runner) hens aren't happy with the lack of action and go after the gander or one of the bantam drakes. When I separate out the breeders there will be two drakes (a bantam and runner) left with the 4 egg layers. I don't expect a problem. Once the bantams lay, I will let them sit and that will add 2 more drakes in with the egg layers. I thought there might be a problem at that point, so I've just ordered two more females.

Your ratio seems fine, but since you're having problems with it, you may want to just pick up a couple more females and not add another drake. What breed are your ducks?

5. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Your ratio seems fine, but since you're having problems with it, you may want to just pick up a couple more females and not add another drake. What breed are your ducks?

Squirt (drake)- Pekin
    Miss Quackers (female)- Pekin
    Rou (female) Rouen
    Motley Crue (female)- Cayuga
    PEEWee (female)- Cayuga

The ones who are getting "mounted" more often by Squirt is Miss Quackers and Motley. Squirt will mount Rou, but only when they are in the pool..... Quackers and Motley will get mounted in the pool or in the coop....wherever Squirt can do it.

Thanks for your help!​

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Since those are large breeds, getting another female or two might make everything work out. I don't know this from experience though, just reflecting on things I've read.

7. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Thanks rainplace! I will have to talk to the fiancee about it.....not sure how it will go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by