how many ducks on a dam without affecting water quality?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by quackersncheese, Aug 11, 2013.

1. quackersncheese

quackersncheese New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Hi newbie desperately wanting to know how much space ducks need in a dam without affecting water quality. I have to present a case to the school board where we live tomorrow regarding my pair of ducks using the dam and I can't seem to find safe stocking densities which won't affect water quality for the school's cattle which water at the dam. I may need to sell my ducks :-(

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! You might have to post in the Duck thread or find & peruse some poultry science journals. Hard data will certainly help your case when you present. Things like much water is in the dam and what does "affect the water quality" mean in a quantitative sense. But having been around cattle and a lot of pasture ponds, what the ducks do to a pond in terms of contamination pales in comparison to what cattle do to their own water supply! Wish I had a video of a cow(s) wading in a pond and drinking while at the same time depositing a gallon of urine and 5 or 6 pounds of feces into the water. I know I've witnessed it enough! A couple of ducks really don't stack up to that! Hope it goes your way!! Here's the Duck thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

3. quackersncheese

quackersncheese New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Thank you, I've reposted there. I've been scouring the net but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Hopefully someone Herr will know or point me in the right direction. Do I somehow delete this thread in lieu of the other?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    No, it's in both places. Hopefully someone will chime in with advice.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I hope you will find the info you need and fingers crossed you won't have to sell your ducks!

6. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

if its a big pool of water then they wont affect it at all .. as long as it is an big area 2 ducks wont affect it and wild ducks prob use it to so it just depends on the people

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I was thinking the same thing - how badly could two ducks alter the water, I'd worry the cattle would cause disease. I can't believe they even brought that up with you. Maybe instead you could have data showing how many head of cattle can do whatever to the water? Give them reason to be concerned about that first. I would think there has been much more research in cattle than ducks any day.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by