How many eggs are in a hen at one time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GallopingGrannie, Dec 23, 2010.

1. GallopingGrannie

GallopingGrannie New Egg

Apr 16, 2010
    I was not sure of where to post this question.

I saw a youtube on butchering a hen and it looked like she had several eggs in her that has not yet come out.
    One of my Barnevelder roos was in with my Easteregger hens.

Here is the question:

I do not want Barnevelder X Easteregger chickens. How long should I wait before I start collecting eggs from the Eastereggers so there will not be the crosses?

Thanks

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

well most vets will say to be sure wait two months, I would suggest removing the roo and eating her eggs till they run out of bullseyes.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I saw a youtube on butchering a hen and it looked like she had several eggs in her that has not yet come out.
    One of my Barnevelder roos was in with my Easteregger hens.

All the eggs that she ever has any possibility of laying but they aren't fertilized until they are about to be layed. But the hen can "store" sperm for a while.

I do not want Barnevelder X Easteregger chickens. How long should I wait before I start collecting eggs from the Eastereggers so there will not be the crosses?

To prevent any chance of Barnevelder/ Easter Egger cross chicks, wait 3-4 weeks to collect eggs to hatch.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by