1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many eggs can a bantam cochin cover?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Picco, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I'm getting hatching eggs tomorrow. How many will fit under my bantam cochin hen?

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I forgot to add that they are standard size eggs.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, I would say, 4 maybe 5?? Depends on how badly she wants to set!

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Maybe even more! I have a bantam cochin hen that just hatched 15 of her own eggs. I have another setting on 3 duck and 4 turkey eggs! There were 10 under one of the OEGB's!

I figure they know how many they can handle.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I was wondering what the outcome was. I searched this post in curiousity. My hen is on 5 of her own banty eggs and I keep second guessing the amount...like one will get left out in the cold...Tell me they will all be fine :aww

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My banty hen was setting on 13 eggs this summer, which was the idea of my father. She only hatched 4 on her own. She had no trouble taking care of the 18 chicks total that she ended up with, but she couldn't hatch them all. Only 7 or 8 of the eggs were viable.

This hen only lays 7 eggs before going broody, so I would just go by that. They know how many they can sit. Unless you have some like my young hens that laid 26-30 eggs before going broody! That is way too many! I think I left them with 12 at most, and the most that one hen hatched was 7.

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanks, Shelley. Good info. I knew someone would come back quick with an answer...this place is grrrr-eat:)

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My hen is a silkie she is a small girl she has 11 under her all her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by