1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many eggs can a bantam hen cover?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bassfishrman, Mar 19, 2007.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I am placing fertile eggs from my Rhode Island Red under my broody bantam. How many eggs should she be able to cover and hatch? right now, there are 5 Rhode Island Eggs under he and she seems fine.
    Thanks in advance!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'd probably stick with the 5 and not offer any more. As long as she can keep those covered, you're good. If you add more, you risk her pushing some out (into the cold). You also don't want to offer them staggered, cuz when it comes to hatch time, she'll leave the nest when 'she' thinks its done...regardless of when you added more eggs. Good luck with her. I hope she hatches for you. [​IMG]

Jody

3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Ok Lets expand on this, how many silkie eggs can a silkie sit on and get a good hatch?

4. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Right now I have a Japanese hen sitting on 20 bantam eggs and she is doing fine, but I don't think any more would fit. I'll have to wait and see how many hatch.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Wild species lay for about 12-14 days before setting on their nest. So I would say whatever the bird can lay in 12-14 days is what they could sit on safely. Bantams can handle that quantity of bantam eggs and standard on standard eggs. But when you get into putting bantam eggs under standards and vice versa, the safe amount changes. You should not be able to see any eggs when she is sitting. If you can see them poking thru, there are too many and they are not getting proper heat/coverage.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by