How many eggs can a broody hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cterbizan, Jul 23, 2010.

1. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have a broody hen that is bigger than a bantam but a little smaller than a standard hen. Well I have about 34+ fertile eggs only 6 are large eggs the rest are bantam size and I want to try to hatch all of them but I do not think 34+ will fit under her. I have a silkie that just hatched one chick and was really mad at me for separating the two. She is still acting broody but refuses to sit on any eggs. I have her nest filled with eggs from my other hens in her nest hoping she will forgive me and decide she wants to sit again. Am I just out of luck on a few eggs? I honestly did not plan on having this many eggs at one time 24 of them were suppose to be sent in two packages at different times but the person I received them from I know has a lot to do and regardless I am very thankful the person sent them to me. So any opinions?
    ETA: My husband does not want to buy a incubator. He wants to have our hens hatch all eggs.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    anyone?

3. silkieowner

silkieowner Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    all i know is my broody silkie can sit on 12 eggs. So if your one is bigger then a silkie i'm guessing your girl could possibly sit on 14-15 eggs.

4. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    My bantam hens have hatched about 8 eggs at a time. My standard size girls can squeeze 12 eggs max. You'll have to see how many fit comfortably under her belly. But if you try to stuff in extras it could throw the temp & humidity off for the whole hatch b/c she won't be able to cover them all properly....I've had that happen not fun! Keep in mind that it's not just a matter of how many eggs she can sit on but how many chicks she can snuggle under her afterwards. I agree with your Hubby...although I have an incubator...I sooooo prefer the Mama hens to do all of the work! They do it best and I don't have to deal with a stinky brooder!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by