How many eggs can a Pekin hen sit on?

Jada22

Songster
Feb 24, 2022
I have a small Pekin hen that’s after going broody. She’s stealing eggs from my other hens. I want to swap out the eggs as I’m unsure if they are fertile and even if they are they’d likely be mixed breed.

How many bantam sized eggs could she sit on? I’m looking at buying polish eggs. If I left her with the one big egg she’s sitting on how many bantam eggs could I put with it?

I have had mixed success with duck hens incubating chicken eggs. In my experience ducks with their webbed feet tend to break chicken eggs. That being said she could readily cover a dozen bantam eggs.

I have had mixed success with duck hens incubating chicken eggs. In my experience ducks with their webbed feet tend to break chicken eggs. That being said she could readily cover a dozen bantam eggs.
she’s a chicken not a duck. Maybe I should have specified. The eggs she lays would be about the same size as the eggs I’d be buying to put under her. I’m just not sure how many is a good number

Perhaps someone with experience with Pekin bantams will answer, but I would assume that in a bowl shaped nest she could readily cover 8 to 10 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom