1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW MANY EGGS CAN A SILKIE HATCH???!!! PLEASE ANSWER ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenBantam, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ChickenBantam

ChickenBantam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    How many eggs can a silkie bantam hen hatch at a time? I have a hen that is broody and want to hatch a couple of d'uccle bantam eggs. How many can she hatch at one time? Thanks!!!

2. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    I've read of people putting a dozen large fowl eggs under a silkie but that seems a bit much to me. 6 to 8 should be a good number, even if half don't make it you will have a nice number of chicks. I suppose you could put all you want there, then candle and remove what isn't viable after 10 days. Heck it's all a fun experiment with no right or wrong answers.

My silkie is sitting on 6 bantam eggs right now and she covers them without a problem. Good Luck!

3. My Lay D's

My Lay D's Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    I just placed 6 Bantam Cochin eggs under my Silkie tonight and she is covering them with no issue. These are my first babies so I am very excited to see how this all goes!!!

4. JAHVREM

JAHVREM Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    6-8 is a good number. just make sure none are peaking out the sides, that's an indication she has too many.....

5. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Will depend on the size or the hen....just make sure te hen can conforatle cover them

6. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    One of my Silkies just hatched 9 Polish peeps for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by