How many eggs can a silkie sit on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoseyChickens, Sep 14, 2010.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    How many bantam eggs should I set under my silkie? How can I tell if she has too many?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    You can tell you have to many eggs under her if you can see some eggs showing even when she is sitting on them and all fluffed up most silkie hens will be happy to sit on about 5 to 10 bantam eggs [​IMG]

3. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I was going to say a bunch:D[​IMG] My silkie mama sat on 5 of her own eggs.....then went broody on NOTHING after that!! Felt so sorry for her, good luck with your Silkie and her eggs.....

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I am having an inner debate. My silkie has been broody. She still is. But I gave her one "test egg" to see how she would do with it today before I put my shipped eggs in with her. She is just sitting next to it, not on it. I'm not sure if I should give her the eggs I really want to hatch. My two other broodies up and quit on me before the eggs arrived. I have the incubator up and running just in case I decide to go that route.

5. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:That's a pretty good rule of thumb

6. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:That's a pretty good rule of thumb

thanks Surehatch i got it out of some book a long time ago [​IMG]

7. callen

callen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    if the eggs are showing from under her there are more than she can fit

8. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have a really small silky and she hatched 7 out of 7 regular sized eggs for me. I was really surprised she covered them that well.

9. HB&B

HB&B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Woodlawn, TN
    Quote:Im doing the same with my bantam mix hens. Two are broody now and I am waiting to see if they have a good hatch rate before I go buying eggs to have them care for. I'm gonna see how they do as mothers and as broodies and then determine if I want to actually want to put money into it. So I think you are doing the right thing, but I would do more than just 1 egg.

10. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    got a silkie hen right now setting on 6 eggs & i dont know if she is covering them good or not, she had 8 under her & kept pushing some of them out & i know 2 eggs are no good, just not sure about her sitting on eggs that are special, i think i would go with the bator, if you trust it, i trust my incubator faithfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by