1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs can ducks lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks-love-me, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ducks-love-me

Ducks-love-me Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    I own 6 ducks how many can they lay? 2 are girl Swedish blacks 2 are girl mallard 2 are boy Swedish blacks. :p:p

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The mallards will probably go broody after laying what they regard as a clutch - will vary greatly depending upon the individual and strain. The Swedish will lay far more eggs and may or may not go broody.

3. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Okay thankyou :)

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    your avatar makes me think of a chorus line. So cute! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Thanks :) they are really cute :) does anyone know where a good place to sell eggs or hatched ducks would be :/ first year with ducks:/

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    A farmers market would be a good place to try and sell eggs or place an ad at your feed store, as far as ducklings, just remember those you can't sell will be with you so think really good on if you want to go that route. and please don't think if you have ducklings and they don't sell they can go live in the local pond or lake, domestic ducks don't fare well being dumped, they don't have the best life eating junk food people bring to feed them and they can't fly so getting away from predators is not easy. As you can tell this is very important to me since a couple ears ago someone posted pics of domestic ducks that had to fend for themselves in the wild and it wasn't nice. Very sad actually. So hatching ducklings to sell might sound like a way to make money but it's not something you want to do unless your prepared to keep the ones that don't sell. To me my ducks are just as important as my dogs they are pets first and repay me for my love and protection by giving me eggs. [​IMG]

7. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    I defiantly won't dump them. The ones i own were dumped and obviously domesticly dumped because they all let me pet them. We own a lake behind our house and knew they would freeze so we saved them. I would never treat my ducklings the way my new ducks were treated. I am glad people care in this world like you.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  9. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Thanks you too. All the people put there who care about ducks rocks! Merry christmas :highfive:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by