How many eggs can I get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dadof4, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I have seven hens in a pen. They're egg production has been OK. I would get 7 one day then five then six them five then seven, etc. I added my Welsummer roo to the mix and the girls went into overtime. I have been getting almost seven everyday. Yesterday my Rhode Island layed a HUGE egg, and when I gathered them there was eight. So I thought I missed one. Today there are eight again.
    I thought the could only produce one a day. And yes, I know he in a he. He is very "lovey" with them.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I guess that intro was a success!

Yes, one a day is supposed to be the max; I believe the cycle is supposed to be about 25 hours. But others have reported this happening.

Enjoy!

3. dadof4

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    They must have come out close to the same time. I check for eggs a couple times a day.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I check out my nests carefully when I collect the eggs. I have had some of the girls try to hide the eggs by covering them up with the nesting material. I did get an extra egg once. I work graveyard and sleep during the day, so I collect my eggs in the evening. One eve when I went out to collect the eggs, I had an extra egg. I think one of the girls layed early in the morning and again in the evening. I have had them in the nest boxes late in the day.

5. dadof4

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I check really well and up to the other day they would all lay in the same place. Now they are all mixed up and lay in which ever box they can get to first.
    I have noticed that the lay more where the roo sleeps at night. they are quite in love with him.

6. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Humm, I had that happen once with a new layer, she laid 2 eggs in one day, and I know that other people have gotten 2 in one day but to have it happen on multiple days is amazing. Maybe your Roos so happy he is laying eggs too.[​IMG]

Keep us posted if it continues.

7. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Our Red Star laid 2 eggs yesterday - we have 9 chickens and we got 10 eggs. But the 2nd was shell-less, just a membrane - she laid it late in the evening. I thought this would throw her off for today, but she's in the nest box right now.

8. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    One of your hens may be laying during the evening and then again during the day. I have had that happen, just a strange cycle. [​IMG]

9. dadof4

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    Seve eggs today from this group.....my streak has been broke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by