how many eggs can i put under my broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shawkins, May 28, 2010.

1. shawkins

shawkins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    Tennessee
    I have a RIR that has gone broody. She's been sitting in the laying box for two days now (and not real happy when I collect eggs, i might add). I'd like to put her on some eggs but was wondering how many is too much? Can she sit on a dozen eggs?

I'm going to separate her from the rest of the flock in a small cage with food water and a nest box (and eggs of course). What else should i do for the chicken mother to be?

thanks,

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    try a dozen. She will know (and so will you) when there is too many eggs.

3. Blubrd

Blubrd Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    12 to 18. I've got 18 under my broody welsumer due in the next few days. Good luck.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Just watch to make sure she gets up now and then. One of my new broodies pooped on her eggs at first because she was forgetting to get up off the nest. Once i know they're getting up on their own, i don't worry. They just sometimes have a hard time remembering at first. Once a day is enough, but she'll probably get up twice a day.

5. shawkins

shawkins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to separate her today and put eggs under her. This is her first time and mine too, so I hope all goes well. I will let everyone know on the BYC msg board.

thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by