1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs can my buff orp broody sit on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazzy, May 2, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have a buff orp that has gone broody. I am going to do the big switch tomorrow and put her in a private brooder box with fresh eggs. How many can she safely sit on? I say 12, husband says 14. He said she's a big chicken and 14 is fine. I worry that that's too many. Any opinions?

She is a big girl. Very full-feathered and a large buff orpington.

2. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    If you give her more than she can actually cover well, you will get a poor hatch. I feel it is better to give them one too few than one too many. Whichever you decide on, check on her after an hour or so and see if any part of an egg is showing. If so there is a good chance she has too many.

Jim

3. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks, Jim! We looked and it turned out she was already sitting very comfortably on 12 eggs, so we put in 14 new eggs when we replaced the old bunch as we settled her into her brooder last night. (We don' t know when some of the others were laid.)

Last edited: May 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by