How many eggs can you fit under your chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DianeB, Sep 9, 2009.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    My RIR is trying to lay on 6 eggs - 4 plastic, 2 real. It must be very uncomfortable, she is constantly reajusting the eggs.

This makes me wonder: how many eggs can you fit under a hen? What are the most eggs your hens have layed on at a time?

DB

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I'm guessing that she is turning them... so the yolks don't stick to the shell. I think that is normal broody behavior. It also will depend on the chicken!

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my RIR was on 9, the turning is normal. Its what momma hens do [​IMG]

4. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Quote:Actually, she was just laying on them for a short time. I just think it is interesting and sweet that my hens will try to stick as many eggs, plastic or real, under them at a time. Especiallly, when they are laying an egg or going to sleep at night. My small Red Star will grab as many eggs as possible (one time 8) and lay under while she sleeps. But, she and the other hens probably wouldn't make good mommies. They abandon their eggs as soon as something more interesting is happening, like treat time.

DB

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My japanese bantam hen who is extremely tiny (one of the smallest bantams aside from seramas) was sitting successfully on 14 eggs from my standards that consistently lay in the extra large egg size. Unfortunately she got killed the week they were due and all 9 of the remaining eggs that didn't get destroyed by whatever killed her hatched in my incubator. A standard hen should have no issue with less than a dozen eggs.

6. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    So sorry to hear about your hen? What happened?

DB

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    A series of events that led to no one being around including neighbors and family to close the coop until 4am and a raccoon got in. We had her penned up but it was the huge raccoon that has been destroying my raccoon trap and it just tore the pen apart. That hen and another was gone and all but 9 eggs were smashed. My husband found it the next morning when he opened the coop back up but figured the eggs dead. I got them at 10pm and candled just in case. Somehow they were all alive. I wrapped them in an electric blanket while I set up the incubator and stuck bottles of hot tap water in the incubator to instantly get it to temp. Every egg hatched about a week later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by