how many eggs do they lay a day???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauren6, Jul 22, 2010.

1. lauren6

lauren6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Roanoke VA
    I had the glorious surprise Tuesday of finding our first eggs, there were two perfect minty green eggs in the nest box, it was so exciting!! best present Ive gotten in a long time!!

So the next morning we got one more [​IMG] this morning another then I heard a little racket coming from the coop a little later and Rosy was in the nest box laying an egg!! She is the only one Ive caught in the act but surely she hasnt laid 5 eggs in 2 1/2 days??? Im thinking marigold might be laying also since they are the only two EEs I have.

Is it normal for chickens the same age to start laying at the exact same time? or is Rosey and egg making maniac?!?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Chances are they are both laying now. Sometimes they will lay 2 eggs a day, but it's pretty rare.

Congratulations! [​IMG]

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Chickens have a 25 hour ovulation cycle and, when young, will lay every day for 4-6 days and skip a day. Although there are variances, don't expect more than one egg a day.

4. lauren6

lauren6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Roanoke VA
    Ok Thanks [​IMG] sounds like we are 2 for 7 now [​IMG] i bet the Barred Rocks are next, and I cant wait to see a itty bitty silkie egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by