How Many Eggs Do They Lay Each Season?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm wondering about how many eggs an adult Sebastopol goose lays each season?

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, that's not good. It says Sebastopols only lay between 12-18 eggs a season with only 45% fertility and they are poor mothers. i'm pondering buying a breeding pair of Sebastopols but not sure it would be worth the investment.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Not sure where they got those numbers, they seem off. You should join the Sebastopols forum and talk to those who have had multiple seasons.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The woman who is selling the pair i'm pondering buying said they lay between 25-35 a season. And, i tried to join the Sebastopol forum run by Cottage Rose last year. She would say i was approved and then i kept getting errors when trying to sign in, so i gave up. i'm sure i was making some kind of silly mistake. Just hesitant to try again and have it be an effort in futility.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Do try again, I had to get signed back up too. Share pictures when you get that pair.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The geese are a Lavender pair purchased from Holderread's. i have their son. He's the middle one in the picture below. i think she's asking a fair price, but she says they are not very friendly. So i thought i could use them to sell eggs or goslings. But i think it would be hard for me to have any critter and not want to make it a pet. It would be fine if they weren't super friendly, but they would have to put up with me pampering them. :)

[​IMG]

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Lovely looking, although they do look white in that picture. We have a couple who don't mind me in their area, but prefer to be hands off. Others will eat from my hand.

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Two are white. The one in the middle is the lavender.

The seller is being very clear that the pair are not pets and should be looked at more like livestock, breeding stock. So they must be very unfriendly. i'm wondering if that is something i can work on over time. Or if they are so adverse to people that it will never change. It's a little sad to me that being used as breeders is their fate. Perhaps i'm just anthropomorphizing.

Anyhow, still pondering if i should buy them.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would much rather buy "unfriendly" geese than "pet" geese.

Pet geese are often spoiled and badly behaved. Those are the ones who will attack you.

As long as she doesn't mean they are aggressive, it is easy to turn livestock geese into social geese. All you have to do is feed them, give them water, and talk to them, and they will soon be rushing out to greet you and chattering to you.

It's not a good idea to turn geese into lap pets. Geese need firm rules and they are happier when you are a good flock leader and maintain order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by