1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs does a turkey hen produce in a season?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Arielle, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've seen a range of numbers usually 35-60 eggs in a season. Do different breeds of turkeys produce more than others? If so which tend to make a lot of eggs and which has the fewest????

Thanks for your input!

2. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    It depends on the breed and where you live. In mild climate the turkeys could lay nearly year around. Some breeds like the Miget Whites are known for early laying but most average 60 to 80 eggs a year. Many of breeds are known to lay 90-120 eggs a year. I think in my mild climate and the right food I am getting about 180 eggs a year on average. The biggest problem for me is breaking up the broody hens. If I can do that, they will keep laying.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks MissTUrkey4. I'm trying to figure out how many hens to have.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have 4 laying hens & I've collected about 80 eggs so far, but they are still laying. They are slowing down, but I expect them to keep laying a few all the way through September.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thank you! Anyone know what I should expect from Burbon red or Narri?

6. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    what about eastern wild turkeys(but domesticated)?

7. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:They would be like most heritage breeds. They start laying a little later in the year than the smaller breeds. Thats a good thing for most people. Early in the year most turkeys eggs will not be feritle even with the males breeding. The same happens to some people late in the fall if the turkeys are still laying. Eggs will also be damaged from heat and cold if they are not collected right away. For me even with a mild climate I only have a small window when my turkeys will successfully hatch thier own.

8. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    my standard bronze usually lay from late march or early april to late september and laying quite consistently during those months, probably 100-150 eggs per year. thats if they are raised properly. and they require high protein food for good egg production, in my experience

1 person likes this.
  9. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Quote:i know several people who raise eastern wilds and they lay pretty good for them. they start in spring and end in late summer, almost fall. maybe 80-100 eggs per year if you collect their eggs and don't allow them to hatch them

10. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Quote:i know several people who raise eastern wilds and they lay pretty good for them. they start in spring and end in late summer, almost fall. maybe 80-100 eggs per year if you collect their eggs and don't allow them to hatch them

is that per flock(if so how many), or is it just 1?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by