how many eggs does cochin bantam lays?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by petslover, Jan 10, 2014.

1. petslover

petslover New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    I would like to know how many eggs does cochin bantam lays before going broody.mine has laid 12 already.someone told me chicks that hatch in incubator dont go broody when they grow up.i want my banty to go broody can soneobe helpppp plzxx

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    It doesn't really matter how many eggs she lays. She'll go broody when she feels the urge to. However, you could put some "dummy" eggs in a nesting box to encourage her to set. Broodiness depends mostly on breed and genetics, not whether they've hatched in an incubator or not. If you've ever bought chicks from an online hatchery or a feed store, those chicks have almost certainly hatched in an incubator. Cochins generally are good setters and make good mothers as well.

3. petslover

petslover New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    Means that should i keep on collecting her eggs?

4. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Yes. I wouldn't leave eggs in the nesting box for more than a day, especially if it's warm out. You can buy the fake ceramic eggs online or you might be able to find them at your local farm store. I've also used golf balls in the past as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by