how many eggs does it take...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BellLisamo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    How many eggs should i leave in the coop to see if she'll sit again. She just started laying again maybe 4 days ago. I was hoping she'd sit on some serama eggs for me.

What do you all think? Does she have to be secluded by herself AWAY from the group? How do i try it with her?

Shes sat on about 7 eggs before and only 2 hatched. 2 others died before they hatched. So shes been a mommy before.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  2. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG]

3. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I have never had a broody [​IMG] so I don't know much about them. Maybe someone else will have an answer.

4. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    Is this your only chicken?

She will start sitting when she has between 8 - 10 eggs if a bantam. She will keep laying until she has a full nest.

I usually let them lat a nest full and get to setting good and then swap their eggs for the ones i want them to hatch.

I try and switch them at night and yes you do need to seperate her from the other chickens if you have more because they will continue to lay in her nest and you will have eggs that are staggered.

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:shes my only BROODY silkie chicken. How in the world do the eggs last until there are 8-10 laid? Like egg #1 is laid, but it takes a full week until she decided to sit. How does the egg not go rotten sitting there until she sits on them?

6. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    There is no telling how long till she will decide to go broody, you can leave 50 eggs in the nest, and if she doesnt decide to go she will just lay the 51st egg, and go back to clucking around the yard. There is no majic number or length of time between going broody, its a biological thing.

7. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Quote:Quite often hens will lay thier eggs together in the same spot, so if you have one that goes broody she will be sitting on hers, and any other eggs that were layed in the nest. That is why unless you are saving eggs, the broodie often doesnt have her own eggs under her.

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    ok so my next question is "once a broody always a broody?"

Is it possible to set a bunch of eggs one night and hope for her to sit on them? Or do i need to wait til shes acting broody?

I tested her one day and gave her 3 eggs from my other hens, she sat on them most of the day. But im wondering if i gave her like 8 to 10 if shed sit and stay put?

9. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Quote:Once a broodie the potential to go broodie is better, but will not necessarily mean if you put 10 eggs out she will sit, until her system says its time to sit she will not sit.

10. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    thank you so much for helping me to understand this more! i really do appreciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by