How Many Eggs Does Roo Fertilize at a Time?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Putt Hutt Farms, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Putt Hutt Farms

Putt Hutt Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Amboy, Ar
    My Coop
    We just added 3 new girls. And of course they were tended to by roosters (or Rooster).
    Anyway, it occurred to me we will have fertile eggs for a day or so.
    Then I was curious, How many eggs will be fertile, 1 day, 2 days worth? Or more?
    I have a friend that wants to incubate them.
    Also, how do I keep them, out on the counter?

Any ASAP response would be great.
    We got our first egg this morning from one of the new girls.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    More like 3 weeks to a month. They're efficient. [​IMG]

As for keeping them on the counter, store them pointy side down and slightly tilted. Once or twice a day, tilt them in a different direction. I think you can collect them for up to 2 weeks.

Before collecting to incubate, I would crack them open and check for fertility.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Putt Hutt Farms

Jan 18, 2015
    Amboy, Ar
    My Coop
    hahahaha, never in my wildest dreams....they are indeed efficient, then.
    And thank you for the advice/instructions

4. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Sorry, my brain is trickling and I keep adding to the original post. To much gardening yesterday...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    You can crack open an egg from each hen and check for a little white bullseye on the yolk that means they are fertile.

It takes about 3 days after the first mating for the eggs to start being fertile and then as said above they will be fertile for a couple of weeks and sometimes longer just from one mating....and since the rooster usually mates with them often their eggs are pretty much fertile all the time.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Since you just have the 3 new girls who were tended by a rooster, I'd not bother to check those eggs for fertility. Because, every egg you crack open is a potential chick that will never hatch. So, IF you want to hatch them, save all the eggs from the new girls, and set them in an incubator (all at once). 7 days for sure, 10 most likely, and if you're feeling adventurous 14 days worth. Now go to Hatching 101 in the learning center and read every single article there about incubation. Then, after you've read it all, read it again. Then, you'll be ready for incubating those eggs!

7. Putt Hutt Farms

Jan 18, 2015
    Amboy, Ar
    My Coop
    I didn't and wasn't going to crack any.
    I candled today's eggs from all three girls and all 3 were opaque.
    I have a childhood friend that runs a therapeutic ranch for special needs people. Her daughter is going to incubate for us and then what chickens we sell proceeds will go back to help the ranch.
    So wish us luck, we are shooting for at least 2 weeks worth maybe more. We don't know yet. :)

Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by