1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Many Eggs Fit Into a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jlgoinggreen, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Hi,
    Please help. I haven't hatched anything since last year and don't remember. How many eggs fit comfortably in a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco? I will be hatching large fowl Ameraucanas and BCMs.

2. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:I got 24 BCM, EE, and Barnevelders in comfortably....although some folks stack them and fit substantially more than that.

3. jlgoinggreen

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:I got 24 BCM, EE, and Barnevelders in comfortably....although some folks stack them and fit substantially more than that.

Wow! Did you hatch all 24 in their or do you have another bator for lockdown?

4. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    They are in the process of hatching in my Octagon 20 right now: So far I have 7 that have been moved to the brooder and others in various stages of pipping and zipping in the bator. I have found that I am able to very quickly remove the chicks once they have dried a bit by tipping/lifting the lid just enough for my hand to fit (egg shells the same way). I let the humidity climb for a few minutes by closing the vent and then grab the chick to make more room and then re-open the vent when humidity stabilizes. We live in a very humid area so this works pretty well for me so far: It hasn't caused any issues for other chicks that are hatching. It is really sad watching them jump around on top of the other eggs bumping their little heads....lol.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I fit 25 in once......

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I only managed to fit 15 duck eggs in mine, plus my hygrometer which took up 2 egg spaces

7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I managed to fit 29 chicken eggs in (although 3 eggs were banty) and no stacking. The package insert says it fits 24 large fowl chicken eggs.

[​IMG]

8. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I just set these the night before last, there are 27 LF eggs in there, though the one under the wax paper doesn't sit down in where it belongs. But there are always quitters/infertiles, so I just used the wax paper to keep it stable for now.

[​IMG]

9. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    It all depends on the size of your eggs. I love the fact that its so adjustable. I cant wait to fill mine up tomorrow! [​IMG]

10. jlgoinggreen

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the pictures guys. You guys have gorgeous eggs. [​IMG]

Is it weird that I get all giddy about seeing pics of eggs in a bator??? [​IMG]

I can't wait to get mine. [​IMG]

Just waiting for my human baby to come. We are due on Monday the 14th. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by