How many eggs have you incubated at once?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Aug 3, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I currently have a staggered hatch set up in my bator with...drum roll....75 eggs!! All chickens and all breeds. How many is too many?

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Depends on how many your bator holds/handles. My little bator is set up with egg holder for 42 and I hatch 38 regularly. I like a few holes empty for humidity release or something. But I have better hatches when I only put in around 34-36.

I think each bator and season has its own magic number. Depends on weather, area temperatures and area humidity, etc. I have better hatches in the Summer than in the Spring. Most people have better hatches in the Spring. Just depends on a lot of things.

Oh ya, how many chicks can you care for at one time. My inside brooders will only hold the above and I actually prefer about 24-25 chicks at one time. That's for the 1 week that I brood inside the house. Then they go to their brooder house that will comfortabley handle up to 50 chicks at a time before I move them to a grow out house.

3. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I just got a new incubator and I am planning to put 100 eggs in!!

4. outback hatcher

outback hatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

My last hatch was with 66 eggs ended up with a 50% hatch. When I set 20 to 30 I hatch around 90% so in my case a smaller setting is better. Tomorrow I'm setting 24

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My little incubator holds just 12 eggs at a time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by