1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs should a muscovy hen lay ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by razvanM, Mar 12, 2013.

1. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    How many eggs should a muscovy hen lay ? I have few laying muscvovy hens,one of them has layed 17 eggs so far and she started pulling her feathers and making a nest.I hope she will go broody soon,how soo should that happen and how many eggs she has left ?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If she is pulling feathers she is serious about going broody. 17 is not unheard of but may be hard for her to cover well. You may want to remove any eggs that are smaller or misshapen, overly dirty or cracked egss. That way she'll have a better chance of successfully hatching them. It takes 32-35 days for muscovy eggs to hatch. Make sure she is in a safe, predator proof nesting spot and that other hens aren't laying in her nest.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG] and some will sit with smaller, my lady sitting right now has 6 or a few more but definitely less than 10.

4. Country Thyme

Country Thyme New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Bowden, Alberta, Canada
    My muscovy hens routinely sit on 20 eggs and hatch 15-16 of them. They also roll bad eggs out on their own. I think the best chances of success involve you letting the hen take care of her own hatching uninterrupted. They always know better than I do.

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    True but keep an eye especially if it's a first hatch, we learned this the hard way one of ours does TERRIBLE at hatch time, she killed quite a number of her babies before we clued in and stepped in. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My first time girls get around 5-6 eggs to hatch, I feel it helps to not overwhelm them and is easier for me to find homes for a few than have more ducks than I need. especially since ours are pets not food. [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    A very good point, ML. [​IMG] My hatch of 9 last year took a bit longer to rehome(we kept the one duck as everyone here knows lol)

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree. I think a first timer will do much better on a reasonable amount of eggs. Also time of year will factor in. My hen that hatched out in December sat on 22 eggs, 13 hatched but it was cold. I think if I removed some, more would have hatched. But my second only hatched 1 out of 10, I think, but a number of them weren't fertile. And then my last hatched 10 out of 15 that she started with. 1 or 2 were infertile but others just failed to hath.

I have never actually had a broody remove bad eggs. I've had 5 broodies total, 4 muscovy and a runner and none of them removed bad eggs from the nest. They'd leave them once the hatch was done but no rolling out. Even my broody chicken didn't remove bad eggs (I just took some out from under her yesterday).

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Interesting, as i said i have seen it here.. tossed right out, ok probably rolled [​IMG] but you know what i mean. Now of coarse i have only had 4 go broody and 2 successfully raise young, so maybe not all of the others would/will do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by