how many eggs should i be getting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken delighted, Oct 4, 2011.

1. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    i have about 43 layers and i average about 20-25 eggs a day. does that sound right ? or am i missing something [​IMG]
    suggestion are welcome [​IMG]
    about 30 have just turn 1 year in july the rest are this springs hatch from my broodys. they have a large yard and free ranger in the afternoon . lots of fresh water and food is give free chioce i use kents extra egg. also about 4 are comeing out of a molt. they have molted like in shifts . that been gong on for a month before that i got 24-28 eggs a day and the young ones were not laying then.shell are nicely fromed and eggs are large.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have more than you and I got 5 eggs today! your doing great as it is molting season! Check for hidden nests?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Beyond the previous considerations.

What breed(s)? Traditional breeds only lay 4-5 eggs per week, at their best. Also, do you provide any additional lighting in the early morning to extend their days? In northern Michigan, we're down to less than 11 hours of sunlight. Chickens need 14 hours to produce at their maximum. Adding light and how much is a matter of preference.

4. chicken delighted

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    as for lighting i am not providing any other light then that form the windows in the coop. will not the extra lighting cause them to burn out faster?
    as for breeds i have australorps(3) marans(3) ,brahmas(4), faverolles(4) ,chantlers(3), andulusain (1) ,leghorns (2) ,welsummers(1)
    wyandottes(3), red sessex(3), partidge rock(1), isa browns (2) ,easter eggers(5), the rest of the girls are mixed breed from andy the andulusian and sam the golden laced wyandotte

5. chicken delighted

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    [​IMG] today i got 30 eggs!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Nice. Frankly, given the mix of your hens, that is likely a very good day.[​IMG]

7. Beakz

Beakz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    What does everyone do with so many eggs a day? Sell them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by