How many eggs should I keep in nest for my hen do go broody

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nicoschill, Apr 11, 2017.

1. nicoschill

nicoschill Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    My hen duck has laid 12 eggs up to now, and I keep them in her nest because I want to stimulate her go broody (if she goes eventually). I've read that I should keep between 15-20 eggs in her nest. If she reaches the number 20 for how long should I keep the eggs hoping that she will go broody? If she eventually doesn't sit on them, which of the 20 eggs should I eat? (average temperature around these period is 72F) When she reaches the number 20 will she stop or will she continue to lay eggs?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

20 is way, way too many unless you have a big hen, and small eggs. The ideal number is 12-15 depending on size

3. nicoschill

nicoschill Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Thank you for your reply. So then should I remove the old ones every day and keep always the number 15 in the nest? Can I eat an egg that stayed for 15 days in the nest?

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I wouldn't. No guarantee she'll read the memo and go broody. Might be time to load the incubator. I have goose eggs that i gathered over a 3 week period and all but one are developing. I wouldn't go any past 3 weeks old. 2 is better. Hatch not eat.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd just leave 3-4 in the nest if you want to help encourage her to go broody. If she broods you can give her more eggs

6. nicoschill

nicoschill Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Thank you so much for your answer.

7. nicoschill

nicoschill Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Nicosia, Cyprus
    Thank you so much for your answer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by