How many eggs should i let her have?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 19, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    So today we moved our duck house to give it a nice washing, and i got a good look at my pekin's nest. she had built it perfectly. she had all the stray bits of hay collected and nicely placed in the nest. she also had SO many feathers in there! along with 5 eggs. i had to take the eggs but i'm wondering if i just keep the eggs in there, will she eventually set them? i know pekins aren't likely to go broody, but for some reason she just seems like a likely canidate. how many eggs do you think she would lay before she sat? just most likely, what number are they normally satisfied with?

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Any where from 5 to twenty five in my experience. I even had a pair of runners set on over 40 eggs.

3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    40 eggs!! holy cow! thats a lot! how many babies did you end up getting? could they even cover them all??

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Runners are terrible sitters. I think I got eleven ducklings.

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I have mallards and out of 12 eggs, she hatched 7. Which, IMO, was a pretty good hatch for her first time. Boy do they grow fast lol

6. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i have 14 in the bator, but if she started sitting that would be great! i'd be so happy. i think she would be a very good mommy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by