1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs should I put under my broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stefmech, Apr 7, 2009.

1. stefmech

stefmech Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    American Fork, UT
    I have a brown leghorn that went broody last week. And yes she really is broody. She has been faithfully sitting on her unfertilized eggs for a week - 24/7. I just purchased some fertilized eggs from a neighbor. My broody is a medium sized hen. How many eggs could she comfortable sit on.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I'd put about 8 under her. I have 2 Black Copper hens sharing one nest and they are on 19 bantam eggs. I could have put a few more but wnated to be on the safe side.

3. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    So, if you have a hen that is broody...I think I have a couple...You can just let them conduct the incubation process?

I wonder if it would be any less nerve-wracking?

I have my hens at my SIL's barn at the moment, because I had to take custody of them before their coop was completed. I hope to have them here in about another week to 10 days then I think I will have to research this a bit more. I believe they would do a good job with the eggs as I have at least 2 that are continuously sitting on the eggs when I go to check for them!

4. stefmech

stefmech Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    American Fork, UT
    Quote:LoriAS - just make sure they really are broody - sitting on eggs 24/7 - not even getting off to roost at night. If they are, you can slip fertilized eggs under them at night.

I would love more opinions on how many you think I could put under my medium sized hen.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Eight is a good number for a med. sized standard hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by