how many eggs till gone broody

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L*A*G*, Nov 22, 2008.

1. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    About a year ago I bought a $16.00 RIR hen that came from a
    decked out egg farm. Kinda high for me OK. And next she made
    her very own nesting spot so I let her go broody. 14 eggs not yet sitting!? Is she just not a broody? Is it her breed? Well that was a
    while ago but in the spring I want to see a hen raise chicks the
    ALL NATRUAL WAY!!! I have a nice henhouse now and only have
    RIRs. should I change breed? What should I do?[​IMG]
    I can't wate to see a hen do it the "ALL NATRUALWAY!!!"
    [​IMG] Let me know, Larra [​IMG]

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Some times they just take a while.

I collect my eggs every day, but leave golf balls in there. If I come out and after a day she's STILL sitting on golfballs, I give her some eggs.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    she may never go broody for you, leaving the eggs in the nest will only make them eggs you wont want to eat.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Some breeds have more of a tendency to go broody than others. Unfortunately, RIRs rarely go broody. Leaving eggs for them won't really entice them to set.

I have all sorts of chickens in my flock. It's nice to have some non-broody types so that I'll always have eggs because once they go broody they stop laying for a while. I wouldn't get rid of your RIR's. They're really nice chickens and they lay such great eggs.

If you have the space, get some Silkies or another broody breed and use them to hatch anything you want. I like the natural way, too. It's so much easier to let the hen do all the work!

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    About 1/4 of my RIRs went broody. The rest weren't interested. Just give it time.

This time of year it won't happen though. Wait until spring -- that's when most chickens go broody.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    It's me again. sounds like there is a way to tell if a hen is broody. How!?[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If they are broody they will sit in a nest day and night just getting off long enough for a little feed and water. RIR's have a reputation of being non-broody. I have 18 RIR girls. I have never had one go broody.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    *L*A*G* :

It's me again. sounds like there is a way to tell if a hen is broody. How!?[​IMG]

There is no way to tell if a hen will go broody. You just have to wait and see and in the springtime, don't take the eggs away.
    They are highly affected by the number of daylight hours, so they're not going to go broody now when the days are getting shorter.

I was worried last spring that I wouldn't have broody hens, but let me just say that despite my worrying, next thing you know, I had one, then two, then four, then six broody hens and I was desperate for them to stop! So be careful what you wish for. [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do leghorns ever go broody?

10. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I've heard a few stories on here about broody Leghorns, but I think it's really, really rare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by