How many eggs to get a hen broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starrmar006, Feb 24, 2017.

1. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi,
    when you are trying to get a hen broody with eggs how eggs would you predict it would usually take to get a hen broody? (What is the average amount of eggs you use to get a hen broody) I really want to have some baby chicks not store bought or incubated! [​IMG]
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    First, do you have a breed that is inclined to go broody? A lot of the production breeds will not.

IME the girls will go broody regardless of how many eggs there are to sit on. Once I collect eggs there is only a fake egg so they sit on that until I mark and give them eggs to hatch.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Broodiness is a hormonal thing, not necessarily dependent on how many eggs are left out to tempt them. (Although some people say they have luck with leaving eggs out to stimulate broodiness, but that has not been my experience.) When a hen goes broody, she won't care if there are eggs in the nest or not. She'll sit on nothing, rocks, golf balls... My great aunt used to use an old porcelain door knob as a "nest egg".

4. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    I have a buff orpington.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Buff Orpingtons are a breed known to go broody, but if they're hatchery birds, that tendency is pretty much bred out of them. Not saying it can't happen, just that it's not as likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by