How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

5 eggs today.
I lost one of my layers today when one of our puppies managed to squeeze under/between the fence and the gate. :he
She hurt 2 of the chickens, 1 of which died in my arms. :hit
Now we are trying to figure out the best way to reinforce the gate/fence area so that she can't get back in there again.
Update: The other hen didn't end up making it either. She had no visible external injuries but I guess she must have taken some internal damage or else the stress was just too much. She was found dead in the coop 2 days later. I was surprised because the day after the attack everybody left the coop and I couldn't tell which one was the injured one.

5 eggs today.

Update: The other hen didn't end up making it either. She had no visible external injuries but I guess she must have taken some internal damage or else the stress was just too much. She was found dead in the coop 2 days later. I was surprised because the day after the attack everybody left the coop and I couldn't tell which one was the injured one.

5 eggs today.
Wow I'm really sorry! :hugs

Most of mine are on the cusp of laying eggs. (I have a handful of adult hens that are molting as well so I am not too expectant of them.) I have 5/6 that have started laying, I have one that should be laying but is not yet from that same group, I have a BLRW one year old in Oct. who went broody last summer and has not decided to lay since. I have 4 more that are cusping, and 6 that just turned five months old, so I mean a bunch soon to lay.

I have put all fresh straw in boxes, With dummy eggs, no roosters, I had a small light, switched to a larger light, (not for heat just for laying.) I let them out at the crack of dawn. They access to the nest boxes fresh food and water, I come out to give snacks prolly more than I should.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom