1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozark_chickies, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Hi all, new to posting on the boards. I've been hanging around, reading and soaking it all in. So now I have a question.

My little duck-wing bantam is wanting to go broody, and I'm not sure she can sit on many eggs. How many should I give her? Do you think six would be a good number? I've been taking her eggs, and my little Sea-brights to put in my incubator, but I think it would be cool to have Veronica hatch some too! I have 20 eggs saved, and want to give her all she can handle. The rest I will put in the bator, probably Saturday.

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Try 6-8 eggs and go from there! I'm assuming you have a Roo in there with her? Bantams usually nmake great mothers! Good luck!

Nate

3. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    We snuck out, and gave her my six newest eggs![​IMG] Three of hers, and three of Betty's. There are two Roos, that could be the father..Archey a seabright, or Jughead a duck-wing. 21 day's till more chickies!

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Well congrats! I set 2 dozen Barred Rock Eggs this evening! We can be hatching buddies! I ordered mine off Ebay. [​IMG]

Again [​IMG] it can be quite an addiction!

Nate

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

Chickens and eggs come in different sizes so how many a hen can handle can be different. With eggs that size and her size, six should work out real well.

It sounds like you may be fairly new to hatching chicks with a broody so I'll make a suggestion. If the other hens can get to her nest, mark the eggs you want her to hatch and check under her every day to remove any other eggs that might show up. I use a sharpie. You don't want her to get more eggs than she can keep warm.

Good luck, congratulations, and again [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Good luck with the hatch! I'm sure mama will do great and be so happy. [​IMG]

8. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thank you all for the welcome, and the enthusiasm!

OkChickens it will be fun having a hatch buddy:), lots of luck on the barred rocks. They are pretty chickens. I have 19 two month old Dominique's.

Ridgerunner, I'm not exactly new to broodies, just out of practice. Thanks for the tips. I had chickens as a kid, and again 20 years ago, so I'm just getting back into it. We started building our flock in April, and it's been so much fun. Kind of addictive.

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    cool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by