How many EGGS!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PoultryQueen29, Dec 21, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I was going to get either a standard cochin pullet, a bantam cochin pullet, a frizzle/cochin cross, or a silver pencilled rock bantam pullet. I was wondering how many eggs each of those breeds would lay a year on average so I can judge which breed I want more. I'm looking for something to be both a pet and an egg-layer but not so that I never have to buy eggs. I'd need like 50 chickens for that and with my little backyard coop 4 is the limit [​IMG] Also, can anyone tell me what I can expect a year from an EE, a silkie, and a polish tophat/silkie mix? I know I have bad egg-layers but I wanted a silkie to hatch eggs for me and I kind of adopted the polish/silkie from my hatchery. No one wanted her so I got her for free [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Did you check out the breeds thread? You may get some answers there. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with those breeds. I have 9 week old Silkies and I got them to be broody hens, however I'm not sure they're pullets. Lol! Time will tell. I expect the silkies will probably lay 3 eggs a week.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks I'll check out that thread [​IMG]

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anyone? The threads dont have much about egglaying [​IMG]

5. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    Quote:If you go to the BREEDS area they have a chart that tells about many of the more common habits: egglaying quantity and size, broodiness and personality traits. It can be very helpful. At least it was for me before I decided on breeds to get. Good luck.[​IMG]

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:If you go to the BREEDS area they have a chart that tells about many of the more common habits: egglaying quantity and size, broodiness and personality traits. It can be very helpful. At least it was for me before I decided on breeds to get. Good luck.[​IMG]

Oh ok thanks [​IMG]

7. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    That helped a lot! I'm really suprized about some of the breeds. It says EE's and Polish Tophats are medium egglayers and lay medium sized eggs. It also said silkies are medium egg-layers with small sized eggs. How can that be? Silkies and polish tophats are not as good as EE's laying wise are they? Or is there just a range like 3-6 egg per week = medium

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by