1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many eggs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Barbill1, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Barbill1

Barbill1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2011
    Evening folks...

have 5 chickens that are laying eggs. Love it.. it is unseasonably warm here in Texas. 74 today!

I got 3 eggs yesterday an 4 today which means one or more of my girls are laying an egg every day. Is this normal? What is the NORM?

any advice will be appreciated

2. thats more than normal for me. i get a dozen from maybe 20 laying hen, so you are doing really good!

3. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I'm not sure there really is a "normal" with chickens. I have 9 hens laying and have yet to get 9 eggs a day from them. I generally get 7 a day right now with a light on in their coop. I did have a couple of days last week that I got 8 eggs from the girls.
    That sounds about right, to me, that you are getting 3-4 eggs a day from 5 hens. I hope this helps.

4. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I celebrated the first (and so far only) time my girls went 7 for 7. I'm hoping it will happen more often when the days get longer. [​IMG]

5. Barbill1

Barbill1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2011
    I thank you all. Never knew raising hens could be this much fun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by