How many eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petjem, Mar 13, 2013.

1. petjem

petjem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Greece, EU
    My muscovy duck has started laying eggs in the beginning of March when she turned 7,5 months old. How many eggs in average should I expect before she is broody? Do all female muscovies go broody?

She has built several nests in their hay and doesn't always lay in the same one. She usually changes nest when I change their hay with some clean. They are still not mating properly though, the male is still mounting her the wrong way so I've been taking her eggs away.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I just had two go broody on empty nests - I was taking all eggs away for a month until they starting pulling feathers and down to line the nests - I felt sorry for them and put 8 eggs in each nest - so far they have been very good at staying on the nests. Both girls are less than a year old.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No not all will go broody, as a generally rule the Muscovy breed is a good broody but there are always exceptions.

As for eggs, i have a broody right now on 5(one has hatched) so they don't have to have a lot, this depends on the bird frankly, when the feathers get plucked you know they are serious, some just give it a try without going to that step and say, nah.. lol

Given you have a drake, something will likely happen eventually, just keep providing safe areas for her to nest in and wait it out. That is all i have ever done here.

4. petjem

Aug 21, 2012
    Greece, EU
    Is there a chance that the drake will bother her when she is sitting on eggs? Like try to mount her or step in the nest and break the eggs? Shouldn't I wait to see a proper mating before giving her her eggs to sit on?

So, from what you guys say, there's no average number of eggs before going broody, right? One can have her first 5 eggs and go broody and another duck could have thirty before she goes broody.

Also, is it normal that her caruncles have become a bit paler? I've noticed that early in the morning before she lays her egg, her facial skin becomes really pale and after the egg it almost becomes normal again but not as red as it used to be before she started laying eggs or as red the drake's caruncles are.

Generally speaking my drake is a mellow fella not brutal at all with her and not at all aggressive with me or other people. But will he eventually figure how it's done?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL

6. petjem

Aug 21, 2012
    Greece, EU
    Thanks so much for all your answers jd ! ;) I've opened one of her eggs and there was no bullseye shape on the yolk. I've seen that on my granmas chicken's eggs and I was told that that was the rooster's sperm. Is that correct?

We shall see what she will do. A neighbour told me that if I keep removing her eggs that she won't go broody. I'm not sure I believe that 100%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by