1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigredfeather, Oct 22, 2008.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am wanting to add 8 more layer and 1 more roo to my flock. I know someone who has an incubator, and is willing to hatch them for me. What would be the recommended number of eggs to incubate to accomplish adding this number of birds?

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    that is hard to guess. The temp decides the sex so you can know how many are going to be male or female. and you have to know the fertility ratio to know your odds. even then you don't know if everything will go right. So I would put 18 to 24 eggs and than once they hatch you can see what you got. It is not possible to know what will hatch.

sorry but I hope it helps [​IMG]

3. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

The temp decides the sex so you can know how many are going to be male or female.

What???? Is this true? I've never heard of this!​

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    ME TOO! WHAT???? Is that true on the temp.? I don't think it is, because when I first began hatching I did tons of research into it. I knew that crocodiles' eggs are sex-determined by the temp. of the nest, and know their egg producing organs are similar to chickens, so thought...maybe....but I never could find anything to say one way or the other. PLEASE DO TELL if you know this is true! THANKS!!!!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think it is true, but a friend of mine swears it is. She has a cabinet bator, guess the heat doesn't circulate very good. She says the highest shelf is 2 degrees hotter than the lowest one, and that most of the eggs on the top will turn out to be roos, and those on the bottom will be pullets. But it is just another "old wives' tale". Like others have told me, if it were that easy to do, the hatcheries wouldn't have so many unwanted male chicks to 'dispose' of.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    True, and the big hatcheries have the $ to do the research. Guess I just got too excited! ! ! ! :|

7. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I agree I don't think thats true.... If it is that may be why I got mostly roos last hacth.:|

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Rio, you're probably like me....Murphy lives at my house!

9. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Rio, you're probably like me....Murphy lives at my house!

Mine too.​

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Not true, There was a thread about this not to long ago !!!!!! The final out come was not unless your hatching reptiles !!!!! The hen decides on who is male and who is female

I would say about 25 eggs should get yah what you want, This seems to be the year of the roosters so to get 8 pullets I would aim for 20-25 eggs !!! Good luck.... What breed are you looking for ???

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by