How many feather's should be lost in a molt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Dec 8, 2008.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My duck Victor has lost several, including his big wing feathers, he seems to have lost a normal amount. (Victor will be 16 Weeks old on the 11th)

Ming Mei has barely lost any and she's two weeks older than Victor. She lost a small bunch of those little fluffy feathers, but hasn't lost any of the big ones. She seems to have a "bald" spot on her where the feathers are not completely absent but kinda thin.

Is this normal? should she be losing big feathers? I thought a molt is when they lose there flight feathers? I read people getting worried about their little ducks losing tons of feathers, but my MinMei hasn't. It usually happens at 9-12 weeks right?

I know my duck has a sense of beauty and walks around knowing she's pretty, i'm thinking she doesn't want to lose her feathers and get ugly! lol

2. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    I think it varies. It looks like a pillow loaded with white feathers was ripped apart when my Pekin drake molts and yet I have seen one feather only from my 2 year old Khaki Campell drake. Both healthy.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    is there any difference in how old the ducks are? will an older one lose more or less than a younger one?

4. xke4

Feb 3, 2007
    When my 7 month old Rouen drake molted and got his big boy feathers, it was so gradual, I didn't see a single one in the pen. And we are talking a big bird! My 3 year old Mallard drops a few feathers, my 3 year old Pekin drops buckets and my 2 year old Khaki, none that I can see. Don't know if this is standard.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They lose them all. Just not all at once. [​IMG]

6. xke4

Feb 3, 2007
    I would imagine that all birds molt in order to maintain good feather health but it is funny that I have never found more than one feather from the Campbell in 2 years!

7. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Feather loss always scares me, even when I know they are in heavy molt. This seems like an odd time for him to be molting...is he healthy otherwise?

All in all, it is a learning experience each time. Just make sure he is getting lots of protein in his diet and he should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by