how many females can a male snowflake bobwhite breed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TheBirdMan5, Nov 16, 2013.

1. TheBirdMan5

TheBirdMan5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    just wondering how many females can be be bread by a male snowflake bobwhite currently I have 1 male and 3 females that is a pretty easy task for him but I want to add more females.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Are you here in the US? Snowflake Bobs are generally kept in pairs only. During the breeding season of spring thru fall, they should be kept one male to one female. It is rare that you can keep more than one female with one male. Again, this is during breeding season. From fall to the following spring, you can keep all of them together no matter their sex. If you have enough room and you have extremely calm birds, you might get away with keeping them in larger groups during breeding season. If you are able to keep more than one female with this one male, after 7 females, your fertility will decline.

3. TheBirdMan5

TheBirdMan5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    I never had any problems with more then one female but thanks for the advice that was really informative

4. ylly

ylly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Haven't any luck with keeping more then a trio in a smaller breeding pen. But have had larger numbers in larger pens but usually then it was more like 2 to 1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by