How many fertilized eggs does a hen lay in one laying?

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Hello

I am planning on having more chicks when my chicks are grown. Just one question: How many fertilized eggs does a hen lay after mating?

Does a hen lay one fertilized egg per mate? Or many fertilized eggs per mate? If the answer is many fertilized eggs per mate,

Does the hen lay one egg(fertilized) per day? Or many at one laying?

Thanks in advance!

Birds generally lay one egg a day, until they have a full nest, unless you pull their eggs daily. Once you hen(s) are laying fertile eggs after having been successfully mated, they should be able to lay fertile eggs for up to two weeks without further mating. To be on the safe side, it is recommend that they have some rooster time every few days to keep fertility optimal.

Edited to add:

I just saw your other post on your cornish x's.... the roosters grow too big to successfully mount the hens. I have some hens that are 20 months old and I successfully hatched some barnyard crossed from them but I did find that the rooster could never mount anything successfully and tried to throw his weight around. You might do better to get some fertile eggs from a local farmer for hatching and use (borrow) an incubator. Cornish x hens have the maternal instincts of a melon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom