How many for this coop size?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CatKai, Jul 12, 2010.

1. CatKai

CatKai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    I have a 12' x 24' coop with a larger grass area attached. I have 16 chickens now and will add 6 more on Wednesday. The person I am getting them from has 3 more she wants to make me a deal on. I really just wanted 4 more so I am already over what I planned on. What's a good number for this size coop?

Thanks,
    Kim

2. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    70 would be good, add sufficent roosting area.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    2 square foot per bird(or more if possible) if they go out during the day is what I was told.So...a lot of room for what you are getting!

4. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I always figure 4 sq.ft. per bird, I find 2 not enough.

5. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I agree...

6. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:I agree, but this person lives in texas...I bet the chickens don't huddle inside for days on end during the winter like ours do. We need enough space in our coops for chickens live in them not just roost.
    Whatever the number comes out to be, it's always better to have less crowded conditions for better health and well being.

7. CatKai

CatKai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    Oh my goodness 70! I will be well under that number for sure. Thanks very much for the replies! I should have searched more thru the posts before I guess... I found the 4sf per and also the 10sf per in the run area. So if I figure it right and allowed 10sf in the coop then 28 would be ok. As things stand now I will have 22 and possibly 25. I really don't want the other 3 but hate to leave them behind... I am getting 3 Cuckoo Marans and 6 that I expect to be Ameraucana or probably Easter Eggers (not Araucana...) - I have a friend that is taking 3 of those. That leaves 3 Welsummer's needing a home...

Kim

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by