how many goose eggs can a toulouse

jvls1942

Crossing the Road
15 Years
Oct 16, 2008
wausau,wisconsin
how many goose eggs can a toulouse or an african set and hatch? I have one of each wanting to set and I have 28 eggs.. no more room in the bators.. I have 80 eggs in there already..

a quick response would be appreciated..

thank you

..jiminwisc........

Quote:
I guess nobody knows..
idunno.gif

Quote:
thank you...... I have posted questions here a few times beore and this is about the first response I have received ..

.......jiminwisc........

sometimes folks read it and do not know themselves, so istead of guessing and possibly passing on wrong info they just let someone with possible experience answer.

I would be careful with what you set under a goose. Geese weigh a LOT more than chickens and ducks, and their eggs are usually VERY sturdy with VERY thick shells.

Also, goose eggs set for nearly double the time of chickens eggs.

I would think maybe that the peeping and movement of the babies would get her off the broodiness thing...but then again if she steps on the eggs at all, they will be crushed by her weight.

Let us know what you decide, and tell us how it goes!

Personally, I would buy another incubator AND set a handful under the goose just to see how it went before I decided to experiment with a larger amount of eggs.

There are a lot more people here with experience with chicken eggs then any other type of fowl. I'm just learning a lot about ducks, but I have never done anything with geese. I wish I could have helped.

Maybe if you post in the Waterfowl: Duck, Geese, Swan... area you'll get more answers for the waterfowl people. There are a few people other there who don't have chickens are specifically stay in that area of the boards!? I hope that helps a little bit
big_smile.png

I have hatched 14 eggs under my goose before, all 14 hatched. They should be fine. It takes 28 to 32 days for geese eggs to hatch, depending on the breed.

Quote:
thank you for the reply..

I have two sportsmans and two LG full of eggs already.. I have 80 goose eggs in one sportsman.. I am out of room and if I go buy another bator I would have to look for an apartment.. wife has been very tolerant up to now, but I don't want to push my luck..
hide.gif

we decided to put four eggs under each of two chickens and take the remaining eggs and divide them between the two broody geese.. the toulouse accepted hers right away and is re-arranging them as we speak.. we have not given the eggs to the african, yet..

thanks again..

.jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom