1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many goose eggs can a toulouse

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jvls1942, Apr 26, 2009.

1. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    how many goose eggs can a toulouse or an african set and hatch? I have one of each wanting to set and I have 28 eggs.. no more room in the bators.. I have 80 eggs in there already..

a quick response would be appreciated..

thank you

..jiminwisc........

2. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I guess nobody knows..[​IMG]

3. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I guess nobody knows..[​IMG]

I guess I should have titled this HELP SOS ,along with a silly type question.

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I would split the eggs between the 2, they should handle them just fine.....good luck.........

5. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:thank you...... I have posted questions here a few times beore and this is about the first response I have received ..

.......jiminwisc........

6. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    sometimes folks read it and do not know themselves, so istead of guessing and possibly passing on wrong info they just let someone with possible experience answer.

I would be careful with what you set under a goose. Geese weigh a LOT more than chickens and ducks, and their eggs are usually VERY sturdy with VERY thick shells.

Also, goose eggs set for nearly double the time of chickens eggs.

I would think maybe that the peeping and movement of the babies would get her off the broodiness thing...but then again if she steps on the eggs at all, they will be crushed by her weight.

Let us know what you decide, and tell us how it goes!

Personally, I would buy another incubator AND set a handful under the goose just to see how it went before I decided to experiment with a larger amount of eggs.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    There are a lot more people here with experience with chicken eggs then any other type of fowl. I'm just learning a lot about ducks, but I have never done anything with geese. I wish I could have helped.

Maybe if you post in the Waterfowl: Duck, Geese, Swan... area you'll get more answers for the waterfowl people. There are a few people other there who don't have chickens are specifically stay in that area of the boards!? I hope that helps a little bit [​IMG]

8. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have hatched 14 eggs under my goose before, all 14 hatched. They should be fine. It takes 28 to 32 days for geese eggs to hatch, depending on the breed.

9. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:thank you for the reply..

I have two sportsmans and two LG full of eggs already.. I have 80 goose eggs in one sportsman.. I am out of room and if I go buy another bator I would have to look for an apartment.. wife has been very tolerant up to now, but I don't want to push my luck..[​IMG]

we decided to put four eggs under each of two chickens and take the remaining eggs and divide them between the two broody geese.. the toulouse accepted hers right away and is re-arranging them as we speak.. we have not given the eggs to the african, yet..

thanks again..

.jiminwisc.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by